Thursday, April 26, 2007

Another Step


It is hard to believe that I have been down here for two years already. I have three weeks to go until this quarter is over. Last night we had our Vicarage assignment service. In a meeting a couple months ago, I asked to go to St. Paul, Mn. Then Dr. Neilson asked me If i wouldn't mind going closer to home. I figured I was going to Detroit or Chicago. Right before the Call Service, Neilson told me my supervisor was going to be here. So, I naturally thought I would be going to Chicago, because every other place would be too far to drive from. The whole service I am thinking how cool it is going to be to live in Chicago. Then as they get to the end of the alphabet, I stand up, move to the front, and await my assignment. Then I hear my name: "Georgia-Florida district..." I was so stunned I just moved up, shook hands, and smiled at people. President Meyer asked where I was going and I couldn't tell him. I am going to Largo, Florida, right outside of Tampa. It should be real cool.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

But...But... Darn that "call to do God's work"

That's really exciting. You'll do great work down there. But you have to promise to visit often cuz we will miss you too much otherwise :)

Ted Torreson said...

I can't really promis to visit often after I go down, but I will be down there for only one year. I get two weeks vacation time, so I'll probably be up to see you at at least one.

Jaime said...

How is that closer to home? And what is it that you'll be doing? Is it sort of like student-teaching for pastors? Ya know...student-pastoring.

Ted Torreson said...

Yeah, that is why I was shocked. I think the place that I was supposed to go got taken by someone else.

You could say it is kind of like student-pastoring. I'll preach, teach, home visits, meeting and all that stuff. I won't be doing any weddings, but I heard that some vicars have had to do funerals. That is something I can wait for.

David said...

The vicar wont be home for hours.