Friday, January 27, 2006

Go ahead, Take it! You don't even have to role it up.

Today, I thought I would tell you guys about one of the classes I am taking. It might seem a little arduous to follow along, as the subject matter is a little complicated, and I probably will not do it justice, but if you do, there will be a treat for you at the end ouf your literary journey.

One of the classes that I am taking is "Biblical Hermeneutics." Hermeneutics is "the study of the principles of interpretation." More plainly put, it is less of a "how too" theory as it is a "this is actually what one does when he interpret a text" theory.

According to my professor, there are three ways to interpret a text. The first is Level One interpretation. Here the reader interprets the individual signifiers "words" within its context, while matrixing it with other occourrence of the signifier in order to reveal the meaning in that partucuar use of the signifier.

The second level of interpretation happens when one interprets the deeds evoked by the signifiers in the story. An example my instructor used was Christ walking on the water. This deed indicates that Christ was more than an ordinary human being.

A third level of interpretation deals with reconstructing the aspects of the author from reading how he goes about writing and what he focusses on. An example of this would be people thinking that Luke was a physician because he focused his account of the Gospel more on Chist's healing ministry than the other Gospel writters. Another example would be the idea that Matthew's intended audience was the people of Judea. Scholars think this is the case because he focuses more on fulfilled prophcies, of the Old Testament, than any other author. Though exceedingly more complicated, this is the gist of hermeneutics.

Well, here is where the fun comes in. My Prof, Dr. Jim Voelz, is one of the most intelligent and articulate people I have met. Reading his book is like reading the most difficult of philosophy in both vocabulary and breadth of sentences. When returning to the subject of Level 2 interpretation, he repeatedly stressed the importance of recognizing when someone is doing this and learning to do it correctly yourself. In doing so, he said this "I want you all to come away from this class with one thing. I am hoping to equip all the students in this class with the Vorperal Sword of Level 2 interpretation."

That's right, my seminary Prof said Vorpearal sword. Needless to say, it took me a few days before I could concentrate in the class. Everytime he started to talk, I envisioned him behind a Dm screen and I would start daydreaming about DND.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

You'll be home at the end of Feb right? So you wont have to dream about DnD anymore.

AlyKat64 said...

No, he'll still dream of DnD!

David said...

Why would anyone not want to dream about DnD?